Chair of the Corporation
Mervyn Jones joined the board of HCA in summer 2016 and became chair in autumn 2017. Mervyn previously held a place on the board at the University of St. Andrews, and has considerable experience in the private sector, as well as governance experience in organisations across the arts, community-based projects, innovative start-ups, environmental projects, and higher education. Mervyn is a member of the Finance and General Purposes and Search and Governance committees, and has worked with organisations on an international scale to develop economic improvements, employment, and wellbeing initiatives.
His keen interest in the arts and the environment saw him work for six years with UZ Arts, the leading producer of outdoors contemporary art in Scotland (which is also a key driver in the EU funded In Situ programme and the Sura Medura arts centre in Sri Lanka). Outside work, Mervyn has a wide range of interests including sports, fishing, gardening, painting, and listening to opera and baroque music. He is a Friend of the Scottish National Galleries.
Mervyn’s expertise and experience will help to drive HCA’s strategic approach over the next few years, during which the college will continue to build its reputation and equip students with skills for life and work.
- Appointed as a Governor in July 2016
- Chair of the Corporation from September 2017
- Member of the Finance and General Purposes Committee and appointed Chair of Committee in 2018
- Member of the Search and Governance Committee
- Career spanning over 20 years working with BP followed by 13 years holding a portfolio of private and public sector positions
- Previously Council Member Scottish Funding Council for Further and Higher Education
- Previously Member of Court St Andrews University, including chairing the Investment and Treasury Group and the Health and Safety Group
- Numerous roles with young innovative companies to support their developing and ensure the instigation of appropriate governance structures