Qualification: UAL Level 2 Diploma in Music Performance and Production (Music)
This new course is ideal for students who are passionate about pop, rock, jazz, or folk music and want to develop their skills and confidence before progressing to the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music.
On this one-year programme, you will develop your music performance and production skills, as well as gaining an initial overview of the music industry, so that you can develop your ideas about further study and careers in this area. By studying music at HCA you will develop your skills, knowledge and industry insight through a range of activities.
- Develop ensemble and solo performance skills through weekly rehearsals, practice sessions and end-of-term public performances.
- Learn about the music industry and how to plan and organise your own music event, taking into consideration health & safety requirements.
- Improve your overall musicianship skills.
- Learn how to prepare for a successful music audition.
Students on this course are encouraged to develop skills on more than one instrument, for example, guitarists may also learn the bass guitar, singers may develop keyboard skills.
You will be supported throughout your studies via regular tutorials with staff who are currently all active as professional musicians.
There are no exams on this course, instead you will be assessed in a variety of ways including performances, journals and logbooks, practical assessments and evaluations.
UAL Awarding Body believes in transformative education. They design and award creative qualifications that empower and inspire educators to help students reach their potential.
UAL Awarding Body is regulated by Ofqual, Qualifications Wales and CCEA Regulation and currently offers qualifications in Art and Design, Fashion Business and Retail, Creative Media Production and Technology,
Music Performance and Production and Performing and Production Arts. They are also the UK’s leading provider of the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. Their qualifications have high retention and achievement rates because they are flexible, responsive and relevant to industry needs, and facilitate student progression.
University of the Arts London (UAL) is Europe’s largest specialist art and design university, comprising six renowned Colleges: Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts.
- Trip to London to see a concert.
- Opportunities to perform with level 3 students both within HCA and at external venues.
- Visiting industry professionals including session musicians, producers, song writers and managers, who give invaluable insights to the music industry.
- A chance to record an album in our professionally equipped studio.
- Regular visits to Royal National College to record video and audio with monthly ‘live streamed’ performances.
- Take part in HCA Music Week with an amazing programme of masterclasses ad workshops given by top recording and performing musicians.
English and maths are an integral part of the course. Students who do not yet have the necessary grades (grade 4/ C or above) will get additional teaching and support to study for either GCSE or functional skills qualifications depending on prior GCSE grades. More details can be found on our English & Maths page.
Additional support sessions, where appropriate, will also be available through Learning Support and Study Plus.
The majority of our level 2 students will progress onto the level 3 diploma in Music at HCA. Some will decide to enter into full-time employment or pursue alternative study pathways.
- Minimum 4 GCSEs Grade 9 – 2 (previously A* – F) (to ensure that you qualify, it is also highly desirable that you achieve at least a grade 4 / C or above in English or maths), interview and portfolio.
- Minimum age: 16 years.