How to Apply to our College Level Courses
Before you apply
Come along to one of our popular Open Events that we hold in the autumn and spring terms. These events will allow you and your parents or guardians to meet tutors, view the college and our facilities, and learn more about careers in art, design, media, digital, music and the performing arts.
Course application forms are available from the autumn term onwards, either from the Careers Centre at your school, by contacting HCA directly, or by downloading a pdf copy of the form (please see below). Alternatively you can fill in our online application form. Deadline is normally 31 March however, we will always consider late applications.
Interviews and Auditions
Once you have completed an application form we will write to you and invite you to attend an interview and/or audition. We will also send you some guidance notes to help you prepare.
The main aim of your interview is to give us the chance to get to know you, but it also provides you with an opportunity to check that HCA will be the right choice for you. All applicants will be asked to produce a short piece of written work.
Art & Design and Digital courses
For Art & Design/Digital courses, you will be invited to attend an individual interview where we will discuss your ideas and ambitions and look through your portfolio of work or digital portfolio.
For Music courses, you will be invited to play or sing informally and bring in your own compositions or recordings, followed by an individual interview.
Performing Arts courses
For Performing Arts courses, you will be asked to attend a performance workshop and complete a 2 minute solo audition piece, followed by an individual interview.
To help you prepare for your interview or audition, we also offer helpful, free portfolio and audition workshops.
These sessions are designed to give you first-hand advice about putting together a strong portfolio and give you useful pointers for interview. We can help you with:
- Picking the right work to showcase your skills.
- Understanding the importance of sketchbooks.
- Handy tips on talking about your own work.
- Talking about who or what influences you, and thinking about your artistic/digital heroes.
Audition Workshops for Performing Arts and Music
At these sessions, we give you advice on audition techniques so you can prepare with great confidence. We can help with:
- Preparations for singing and playing live.
- Choosing suitable monologue material or picking the right music for your dance solo or musical number.
Level 1 Courses
- Minimum of 2 GCSEs grade 9 – 2 (A* – F)
- English and/or maths at grade 3 (grade D) or above desirable.
Level 2 Courses:
- 4 GCSEs grades 9 – 2 (A* – F)
- English and/or maths at grade 4 (C) or above desirable.
Level 3 Courses:
- 5 GCSEs grades 9 – 4 (A* – C) or Merit at Level 2 Diploma.
- English and maths at grade 4 (C) or above desirable.
Foundation Diploma in Art & Design:
- 1 A Level/ A2 or Extended Diploma preferably in a creative subject plus 5 GCSEs including English and maths at grade 4 (C) or above.
For further assistance please contact our Registry team on 01432 273359 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.