This highly progressive and dynamic course allows you to explore and develop your skills in art and design. You will experiment with a variety of exciting techniques and processes, and gain a range of contemporary and traditional skills through studio and workshop practice.
You will build your knowledge of artists, designers and makers, whilst visits to cultural venues such as Bristol, Oxford, Manchester and London will give you an exciting overview of contemporary international art and design practice.
Studying an Extended Diploma in Art and Design at HCA provides you with the space, understanding, and opportunities you need to develop.
The first year is an immersive experience, developing your confidence across a range of specialisms with an extensive programme of workshops in:
- Textiles & Fashion
- Photography & Film
- Small Metals
- 3D Fabrication
- Painting & Drawing
- Graphic Design & Illustration
The second year allows you to focus on your chosen specialism and refine your ideas and outcomes. You can work in any of the following pathways:
- Graphic & Media Design
- Illustration & Animation
- Fine Art
- Contemporary Design Crafts (wood, metal, jewellery design, ceramics & mixed-media)
- Photography & Moving image
- Fashion and Textiles
Your choice of specialism often underpins your future direction. Students on this course have a great track record of moving on to their first choice university. If you chose to pursue higher education at HCA, you will have the added advantage of specialising in an area that dovetails with our degree-level courses. Tutors will guide you through your UCAS application for higher education, and support you to produce a professional portfolio of work ready for university interviews or securing direct employment.
Rather than finish with an exam, both the first and second year culminates in an extended project, leading to a dynamic curated exhibition that showcases your work to the public.
In 2018, 36% of students on this course achieved UCAS points equivalent to A*A*A* at A-level.
- Working with a range of external companies on live projects such as: Hereford Skate park, Sidney Nolan Trust and The National Trust.
- Young Enterprise successes – HCA teams have been regional award winners for the last three years.
- Workshops and lectures that included a day working with a senior model-maker from Aardman Animations.
- HCA Affordable Arts Fair held annually in Hereford city centre.
- Collaborative exhibition at Hereford Museum and Art Gallery.
- Overnight visit to UCAS ‘Create your Future’ university fair.
You can achieve a maximum of 168 UCAS points equivalent to 3 A-Levels at A* grade. Students successfully completing this course can apply to degree courses at HCA and other universities and colleges throughout the UK.
- Minimum 5 GCSEs at Grade 9 – 4 (A*- C) or a Merit at Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design. To ensure that you qualify, it is highly desirable that you achieve at least a Grade 4 / C or above in English and Maths.
- Interview & portfolio.
- Minimum age: 16 years
See student work
on our first year Instagram accountExplore 3