Develop your creative potential within an inspiring, supportive community and turn your passion for photography into an fulfilling creative career.
You will learn from successful photographers and make contacts with key organisations within the industry. This course is designed to equip you with the technical, creative and critical skills you need to succeed within the area of photography that most excites you.
You’ll be based at a specialist Art College, based in the historic city of Hereford and enjoying a unique location in the beautiful county of Herefordshire. Our college is a vibrant creative community, 100% dedicated to Art and Media careers.
A range of inspiring modules will enable you to experience the diversity of photography so you can focus on either Editorial i.e. Documentary, Portrait, Advertising, Fashion, Sport; or Photographic Arts i.e. Landscape, Constructed Image and Fine Art.
This lively programme features industry links, portfolio reviews, visits to photo festivals and eminent guest speakers. You will have the chance to work on live briefs, giving you professional experience before you graduate. Many of our students start their career, with paid commissions whilst they are still studying.
Central to course philosophy is the development of individual practice, enabling you to create a unique and personal photographic ‘voice.’
You will be supported by a team of experienced Lecturers and Technicians all talented photographers in their own right who bring rich and varied professional experience to the learning environment. We teach in small groups and provide individual tutorials and tutor support throughout your studies. Live projects and industry links with image agencies such as Alamy and Troika provide a professional edge to your studies.
Visiting lecturers include some of the most successful British photographers such as Tom Hunter, Tom Wood, Timothy Allen, Helen Sear, Chloe Dewe Mathews, Zed Nelson and Simon Roberts as well as dynamic ex-students.
Access excellent facilities and equipment such as 2 Photo studios, Quadpack flash, Full-frame Nikons and Phase1 studio kit. We have the latest MACs as well as darkrooms and offer traditional process workshops such as Cyanotype, Gum bichromate, Salt prints and more. Our facilities also allow you to print on a variety of special materials from fabric to metal.
You will take part in exhibitions and visit photo festivals both in the UK and abroad to broaden your horizons. We have collaborative projects with USA photography courses as well as projects at community level.
Our fellows include world class photographers Don McCullin and John Bulmer.
All students take Critical Studies, where you can gain fascinating insights into the subject you love. Through lectures and seminars you will develop an understanding of the history and art of Photography and its role in contemporary culture. You will learn about the most influential photographers since the invention of the medium and be able to use this knowledge to develop your own practice. We will help you to see your own practice in context with your peers and predecessors; leading to, not only a greater understanding of the rich and varied practice of photography, but who you are as a photographer. The things you discover in Critical Studies will help you answer the question: where do I want to take my practice?
- A stimulating creative media studio environment within a dynamic arts school community.
- Excellent facilities including two photographic studios and a traditional darkroom.
- Small group teaching with great access to tutors and expert technical support.
- Professional exhibition experience, every year of the course, at regional or national level.
- Work alongside media professionals on live briefs and participate in national photographic competitions.
- High student satisfaction and successful alumni.
- No house style – we value your creativity and individuality
We have a wide range of up to date equipment including full-frame digital cameras, powerful flash, Phase1 studio equipment and everything else you need to create professional images.
Working in a creative specialist art college environment you will have access to excellent resources. For instance, our craft based workshops are fantastic for traditional image making techniques such as UV screen printing, stencilling, letter press printing and fabric printing.
You will work on live projects for major clients and engage through specialist lectures with some of
the best UK photographers such as Simon Roberts, Anna Fox, Zed Nelson and Chloe Dewe Mathews. You will receive advice and portfolio reviews from important industry insiders such as
Bridget Coaker of Troika Editions and Lorentz Gullachsen.
Our graduates have a diverse range of photographic practice including documentary, travel, wedding and events, architectural, advertising and fashion, photo retouching, fine art and curation.
Many graduates have also continued to postgraduate MA study or developed careers in teaching and arts administration.
- Minimum age 18.
- Successful portfolio interview.
- Academic achievement – we would normally expect applicants to have achieved 80 UCAS Tariff Points at entry but, whilst qualifications are important, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We may make offers based on other evidence of talent and suitability for the course.
- 80 UCAS Points on the New UCAS Tariff system for 2017 equates to 200 UCAS points on the previous points system – for more details please see tariff explanation and advice on the UCAS website.
- Applicants whose first language is not English – proof of IELTS overall score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all sections (reading, writing, listening & speaking) is required.
- Applications from mature students with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Recognition of Prior Learning Opportunities – the college welcomes applications from students with prior learning and/or previous experience. Further details on eligibility can be found on page 15 of our Admissions Policy.
- Alternatively, please contact us at email@example.com and we can offer further advice on HCA and the UWTSD awarding body requirements.
NB for Top-Up students different entry requirements apply – please see our Top-Ups application page for more information.
See more from this course
Follow the Instagram accountExplore 3