“I studied Photography at HCA but was also passionate about Fine Art. The tutors really supported me with both and helped me find my voice as a Fine Art Photographer. The course leaders were always available and their enthusiasm helped me develop and gave me a clearer vision of what inspired me. Talking to other graduates we all agreed that we received this level of support at HCA which is rare for universities. Since graduating I have been commissioned a project by the National Trust. I also work at Market Arts Studio and regularly attend salons with other artists in London. Recently I have been put forward for a project at Jerwood Arts.”
– Lorna Brown, BA (Hons) Photography Graduate
Photography is universal with a trillion pictures now taken round the globe a year. It has an importance to individuals, groups and businesses like no other art form, capturing stories, representing dreams, driving political change, promoting ideas and brands. Professional photography, that stands out in this age of the image, is at a premium in a host of different sectors.
Our course is wide-ranging and flexible, giving you the skills and experience to find the areas that excite you most, and you’ll be able to work in moving image as well as still. Great photography requires much more than technical learning; we’ll give you pathways and inspiration to develop a powerful, individual, creative approach. You don’t need to have studied photography previously to join this course but you need a photographer’s hunger to explore your world and imagine or discover others through a lens.
You will have access to the latest equipment and facilities as well as traditional darkrooms and film cameras. Our team of experienced lecturers and technicians have rich and varied professional experience. They will empower you with creative and technical skills, and a deep understanding of the context and potential of your own practice. After exploring a range of genres within studio and location photography, you can choose to pursue either the Editorial Photography pathway which includes: Documentary, Fashion, Portrait; or the Photographic Art pathway with a focus on: Landscape, Constructed Image and Fine Art.
What we provide:
- A stimulating creative media studio environment
- Excellent facilities including two photographic studios and a traditional darkroom.
- Small group teaching with great access to tutors and expert technical support.
- Professional exhibition experience, at regional or national level.
- Opportunity to work alongside media professionals on live briefs and participate in national photographic competitions.
- A range of inspiring modules to enable you to experience the diversity of photography.
- Visiting lecturers including some of the most successful UK photographers.
- Visits to exhibitions and visit photo festivals both in the UK and Abroad.
Who we work with:
Alamy | Catcher Media | HSBC | Mind | Herefordshire Council | De Koffie Pot, The Photo Space Gallery | Hereford Boxing Club
Hear from current student Ellie Widdows on what it’s like to be part of our BA (Hons) Photography course here at HCA.
- Advertising art director
- Film/Video Editor
- Graphic Designer
- Magazine Features Editor
- Press Photographer
- Photo Retoucher
- Photo Editor
- Television Camera Operator
You’ll be based at a specialist Art College, situated in the historic city of Hereford and enjoying a unique location in the beautiful county of Herefordshire. Our college is a vibrant creative community, 100% dedicated to Art and Media careers.
A range of inspiring modules will enable you to experience the diversity of photography so you can focus on either Editorial i.e. Documentary, Portrait, Advertising, Fashion, Sport; or Photographic Arts i.e. Landscape, Constructed Image and Fine Art.
This lively programme features industry links, portfolio reviews, visits to photo festivals and eminent guest speakers. You will have the chance to work on live briefs, giving you professional experience before you graduate. Many of our students start their career, with paid commissions whilst they are still studying.
Central to course philosophy is the development of individual practice, enabling you to create a unique and personal photographic ‘voice.’
You will work on live projects for major clients and engage through specialist lectures with some of the best UK photographers such as Simon Roberts, Anna Fox, Zed Nelson and Chloe Dewe Mathews. You will receive advice and portfolio reviews from important industry insiders such as Bridget Coaker of Troika Editions and Lorentz Gullachsen.
You will be supported by a team of experienced Lecturers and Technicians all talented photographers in their own right who bring rich and varied professional experience to the learning environment. We teach in small groups and provide individual tutorials and tutor support throughout your studies. Live projects and industry links with image agencies such as Alamy and Troika provide a professional edge to your studies.
Visiting lecturers include some of the most successful British photographers such as Tom Hunter, Tom Wood, Timothy Allen, Helen Sear, Chloe Dewe Mathews, Zed Nelson and Simon Roberts as well as dynamic ex-students.
Access excellent facilities and equipment such as 2 Photo studios, Quadpack flash, Full-frame Nikons and Phase1 studio kit. We have the latest MACs as well as darkrooms and offer traditional process workshops such as Cyanotype, Gum bichromate, Salt prints and more. Our facilities also allow you to print on a variety of special materials from fabric to metal.
You will take part in exhibitions and visit photo festivals both in the UK and abroad to broaden your horizons. We have collaborative projects with USA photography courses as well as projects at community level.
Our fellows include world class photographers Don McCullin and John Bulmer.
All students take Critical Studies, where you can gain fascinating insights into the subject you love. Through lectures and seminars you will develop an understanding of the history and art of Photography and its role in contemporary culture. You will learn about the most influential photographers since the invention of the medium and be able to use this knowledge to develop your own practice. We will help you to see your own practice in context with your peers and predecessors; leading to, not only a greater understanding of the rich and varied practice of photography, but who you are as a photographer. The things you discover in Critical Studies will help you answer the question: where do I want to take my practice?
- Minimum age 18.
- Successful portfolio interview.
- Academic achievement – we would normally expect applicants to have achieved 80 UCAS Tariff Points at entry but, whilst qualifications are important, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We may make offers based on other evidence of talent and suitability for the course.
- 80 UCAS Points on the New UCAS Tariff system for 2017 equates to 200 UCAS points on the previous points system – for more details please see tariff explanation and advice on the UCAS website.
- Applicants whose first language is not English – proof of IELTS overall score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all sections (reading, writing, listening & speaking) is required.
- Applications from mature students with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Recognition of Prior Learning Opportunities – the college welcomes applications from students with prior learning and/or previous experience. Further details on eligibility can be found on page 15 of our Admissions Policy.
- Alternatively, please contact us at email@example.com and we can offer further advice on HCA and the UWTSD awarding body requirements.
NB for Top-Up students different entry requirements apply – please see our Top-Ups application page for more information.
This Key Information document gives you a summary of the core characteristics of the BA (Hons) Photography degree at HCA.
See more from this course
Follow the Instagram accountExplore 3
Watcha short film about our course