It’s always a pleasure to see what our talented and creative staff members get up to outside of work and Level 3 Diploma Art & Design and BA (Hons) Artist Blacksmithing Tutor Dermot Clarke has busy working on lots of exciting commissions! As well as teaching at HCA Dermot works as a freelance fine artist and graphic designer, working both digitally and traditionally to commission, with specialist areas in illustration, graphics and fine art.
His projects involve creating fun and bold mixed media murals.
Dermot also creates lots of illustrative branding for a broad range of international businesses and has been closely supporting local businesses around Herefordshire.
It is amazing to see local artists working with the community to enrich our city! To follow latest and future projects by Dermot make sure to check out @dermotclarke
- When did you join HCA? 2008 when he relocated from Liverpool
- What is your profession? Teacher visual communication
- What is your professional experience/ or how long have you been working in that profession? 12 years teaching after 6 years working for a range of design and illustration companies in the industry
- What attracted you to HCA or this particular role at HCA? A specialist art college I had heard about it before I moved here.
- Do you have your own practice as an artist, musician or performer? Tell us about it? Yes. check my Instagram for visual arts and music @dermotclarke
- What do you love about your job? Seeing creative development in students
- How would your colleagues or students describe you? Fun, friendly and energetic
- What are your passions or hobbies outside of work? Playing and writing music, playing football for Hereford city
- Who or what inspires you? I am inspired by music, Hip hop, folk and Blues
- If local, what do you love about living in Hereford/ or Herefordshire? I love the balance between the rural and urban lifestyle. Hereford has changed a lot over the time I have lived here (for the better)