We are not longer accepting applications for this course for 2019/2020 entry.
Discover your unique voice as a creative short film maker in our specialist college for the arts.
Short film is one of the fastest-growing and most powerful communication tools of our time. This degree was launched in 2016 in response to the flourishing short form film genre for both corporate and entertainment markets. The course is designed to prepare you for working in the creative, media and film industries. You will develop production and technical skills in film making for contemporary short form storytelling and digital content creation.
You’ll engage with a range of film practices across multi-platforms, all of which serve to help you find your own creative voice as a film maker, and develop the confidence to thrive professionally in this dynamic but competitive industry.
HCA have developed and delivered this course with an award-winning industry partner. Rural Media is a creative media company with over 25 years’ story telling experience across film and digital media. Their work has been broadcast on BBC and Channel 4, and exhibited at festivals around the globe.
The course will equip you with advanced production and technical skills across an exciting range of genres and applications including: narrative short film, serial and interactive short film, motion graphics, and storytelling through social media.
You will engage with a range of film practice utilising multi-platform approaches to production and publication.
Smaller class sizes offer excellent support from tutors, including a range of specialist professionals in film. This will enable you to develop your film practice and the online profile you need for working within this growing and dynamic sector.
All students take Critical Studies, where you can gain fascinating insights into the subject you love. You will explore your specialism and the work of those you admire. We will help you to see your own practice in context with your peers and predecessors; giving you not only a greater understanding the rich and varied practice of film making, but also insights and inspiration into where you want to take as a filmmaker.
We support you to find your voice by providing both space for expression and an all-round education in production process. On this course, you will gain valuable experiences enabling you to further specialise in a number of areas, from directing to editing.
At HCA you will gain access to an amazing range of workshops, all overseen by experienced and friendly technical demonstrators. Our professional Media Suite gives you the opportunity to explore moving image using multi-platforms and devices. You will access industry standard software including: Adobe Premiere, Animate, Final Cut and more. You will also discover new software for moving image creation and virtual reality.
In our Media Store you will find: MacBook Pros, audio interfaces, midi controllers, hard-drives, accessories, SLR/DSLR cameras, 35mm cameras, tripods, lenses, a Blackmagic cine camera, HD video cameras, Location recording equipment (including track, dolly etc), projectors, video mixers and Super 8.
- Innovative course developed and delivered with an award-winning industry partner.
- Vibrant art school environment where your creativity can flourish.
- Focus on crafting short form film and digital content creation to meet the rapidly growing demand for this sector.
- Join a vibrant short film community.
- Rich collaboration opportunities with other creatives in our dynamic art school environment.
- Develop your individual film making practice and an extensive skill set.
- Excellent support from experienced industry specialists and content creators
Our vibrant community of award winning contemporary film makers are working on the cutting edge of short film and digital content. Our students benefit from a range of industry placements; developing, producing and delivering short film and short form content. You will receive invaluable input and support from working film makers, directors, writers and producers, in a live media environment.
You will be ready to establish your own working practice across a range of film or production roles including: video production, film editing, cinematography, directing, lighting, camera operator, sound recordist, director of photography, script writer and producer.
- Minimum age 18.
- Successful portfolio interview.
- Academic achievement – we would normally expect applicants to have achieved 80 UCAS Tariff Points at entry but, whilst qualifications are important, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We may make offers based on other evidence of talent and suitability for the course.
- 80 UCAS Points on the New UCAS Tariff system for 2017 equates to 200 UCAS points on the previous points system – for more details please see tariff explanation and advice on the UCAS website.
- Applicants whose first language is not English – proof of IELTS overall score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all sections (reading, writing, listening & speaking) is required.
- Applications from mature students with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Recognition of Prior Learning Opportunities – the college welcomes applications from students with prior learning and/or previous experience. Further details on eligibility can be found on page 15 of our Admissions Policy.
- Alternatively, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can offer further advice on HCA and the UWTSD awarding body requirements.
NB for Top-Up students different entry requirements apply – please see our Top-Ups application page for more information.
There has never been a better time to be a film maker
Short film is one of the fastest-growing and most powerful communication tools of our time.