Information for Welsh Residents: University-Level Courses

If you live in Wales but want to study across the border here at HCA, here's the funding information you'll need...

Here's some quick links to get you to started:

Tuition Fees
Tuition Fees Loan & Grant
Maitenance Loan
Welsh Government Learning Grant
Special Support Grant
More support from Student Finance Wales
Financial Support available from Hereford College of Arts
Useful websites

Hereford College of Arts Tuition Fee

The tuition fee for 2017-18 for a full time course has been set at £9,000 for all courses. Students from low income households may be eligible for a Welsh Government Learning Grant. In addition to the tuition fees, there may be some extra costs involved such as course books or materials.

Support Available From Student Finance Wales (SFW) and the Student Loans Company (SLC)

Tuition Fee Loan and Grant
A loan is available for Welsh students to cover their tuition fees up to £4,046 the balance of £4,954 is covered by a grant and is not repayable. The tuition fee loan and grant is paid directly to the College by the Student Loans Company.

Maintenance Loan

All Welsh students studying for a first degree are entitled to a Maintenance Loan of up to £6,922 per year to help with accommodation and other living costs (how much you get depends on where you live, study and your household income).  All loans have to be repaid but you will not start paying them back until you have graduated and are earning over £21,000 per annum. The amount you repay is 9% on earnings above £21,000 and the repayment is made through the UK tax system using your National Insurance number. For example, if you are earning £25,000 per year, you would repay 9% of £4,000 which would be around £30 per month.

Welsh Government Learning Grant
You can apply for a Welsh Government Learning Grant if your household income is £50,020 or less. The maximum amount of ALG is £5,161 and students can receive the full amount if their household income is £18,370 or less.

Special Support Grant
The Special Support Grant replaces the Welsh Government Learning Grant in certain circumstances, for example, if you’re aged 60 or older, if you are a single parent or if you have a disability. The Maximum award you can receive is £5,161 and as with other grants this does not have to be repaid.

Students can only receive the Welsh Government Learning Grant or the Special Support Grant, not both.

Extra Help Available from Student Finance Wales

Childcare Grant
This grant helps with childcare costs if you have dependent children in registered or approved childcare. Entitlement to this grant depends on your income and that of your partners.

Parents Learning Allowance
Parents Learning Allowance is extra help to cover some additional costs incurred by students who have children. The maximum award for this allowance is £1,557 per year and you can only apply if you have one or more children that are financially dependent on you. The amount you receive depends on your income and that of your partner.

Adult Dependents Grant
You can apply for this grant if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you. The maximum award is £2,732 per year and the amount of grant available to you depends on your income and that of the adult who is dependent on you.

Disabled Students’ Allowance
Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSAs) may be available if you have a disability or specific learning difficulty including dyslexia. DSA’s don’t depend on your household income and what you receive depends on your individual need. For more information, please  email

To apply to Student Finance Wales for funding, please visit

Support Available From Hereford College of Arts 

Higher Education Hardship Fund
The purpose of this fund is to provide exceptional support to students who are experiencing financial difficulty whilst studying. This fund may provide assistance with travel, material costs, rent or living expenses. Students requesting assistance will be required to complete an application form detailing their financial circumstances and be able to show evidence of hardship. Applications are assessed each term and not all applications will be successful as the College has a limited fund available. Students must of applied for, and be in receipt of, all their loans, grants etc from Student Finance Wales before an application can be considered.

Progression College Bursary (First Year Only)
All students who have studied either at Hereford College of Arts or one of its Progression Partner Colleges on a Further Education course within the last 2 academic years are eligible for a Progression Bursary in their first year only of £1,000. This bursary is paid directly to students in 3 instalments, one each term. Satisfactory work, attendance and progress during the year are required to ensure all payments are made.

For more information about tuition fees, loans or bursaries please email

For any other information or enquiries about Higher Education, please  email

Useful websites

Student Finance Wales
National Union of Students
National Association of Student Money Advisers

This information provided is subject to change at any time.