Transport Assistance

Guidance for Further Education students living 3 miles or further from the Folly Lane Campus

If you wish to study a full-time Further Education course at Hereford College of Arts and you live 3 miles or further from the Folly Lane Campus then you may be entitled to apply for a subsidised travel pass. However, if you intend to travel by bus from Monmouth or the Forest of Dean areas, it may be cheaper to arrange transport directly with the bus company. 

How to Apply
You must first apply to the Council whom you pay your Council Tax to. Different Councils adhere to varying procedures. However, if your own Council reject your application for assistance, you can then apply to Herefordshire Council. Please ensure that you attach a copy of the refusal letter from your Council to your Herefordshire Council paper application form. They will be unable to process your application without it.
If you are aged 16-18 on 1st September and a Herefordshire resident, your application form should be completed on-line via the Herefordshire Council website using the following link  
However, if you are aged 19+ or pay your Council Tax to a Council other than Herefordshire you will need to complete a paper application form which can be obtained directly from the Herefordshire Council Offices, downloaded from the Herefordshire Council website as above or are available from the Registry Office at the College. 
Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire Councils no longer offer travel assistance to college students, please download the paper application form from Herefordshire Council and return to the College as above.
Once completed, please forward the paper application form, refusal letter (if applicable) and cheque for the requested amount to the Registry Office, Hereford College of Arts, Folly Lane, Hereford, HR1 1LT.  We will then consider your application and forward it to Herefordshire Council on your behalf.
When to Apply
You must allow a minimum of 28 days for any Council to process your application. As a general rule the various Councils will be ready to accept applications from May onwards (please check with individual Councils) however, we would strongly recommend applying as soon as you can.
If you are applying to a Council outside Herefordshire and expect to be refused assistance, please ensure you allow 28 days for each council to process your application.
Issued travel passes will be sent directly to the College and can usually be collected from the Registry Office at Hereford College of Arts on the first day of term. Train passes will require a photograph, please have one ready when you collect your pass from College. Train passes cannot be issued without a photo.
Students should check with the Registry Office at Folly Lane Campus to arrange collection of their pass.

For transport enquiries please email
Refunds will not be made by the Councils for any expenses incurred whilst waiting for your travel permit to arrive.