Develop your creative potential within an inspiring, supportive community and turn your passion for photography into an exciting career.
You will learn from successful photographers and make contacts with key organisations within the industry. The course is designed to equip you with the technical, creative and critical skills needed to succeed within the area of photography that most excites you.
A range of inspiring modules will enable you to experience the diversity of photography so you can focus on either Editorial i.e. Documentary, Portrait, Advertising, Fashion, Sport or Photographic Arts i.e. Landscape, Constructed Image and Fine Art.
Industry links, Portfolio reviews, visits to Photo Festivals and eminent guest speakers are all integral to this lively programme.
Central to course philosophy is the development of individual practice, enabling you to create a unique and personal photographic ‘voice.’
Why choose Hereford College of Arts?
You’ll be based at a specialist Art College, based in the historic city but enjoying a unique location in the beautiful county of Herefordshire. Our college is a vibrant creative community, 100% dedicated to Art and Media careers.
“What a fabulous place to study Photography”
- You will be supported by a team of experienced Lecturers and Technicians – all talented photographers in their own right – who bring rich and varied professional experience to the learning environment.
- We teach in small groups and provide individual tutorials and tutor support throughout your studies.
- Live projects and industry links with image agencies such as Alamy and Troika provide a professional edge to your studies.
- Visiting lecturers include some of the most successful British photographers such as Tom Hunter, Tom Wood, Timothy Allen, Helen Sear, Chloe Dewe Mathews, Zed Nelson and Simon Roberts as well as dynamic ex-students.
- Access excellent facilities and equipment such as 2 Photo studios, Quadpack flash, Full-frame Nikons and Phase1 studio kit. We have the latest MACs as well as darkrooms and offer traditional process workshops such as Cyanotype, Salt prints and more.
- You will take part in exhibitions and visit photo festivals both in the UK and abroad to broaden your horizons. We have collaborative projects with USA photography courses as well as projects at community level.
- Our fellows include world class photographers Don McCullin, Robert Wyatt and John Bulmer.
Brian Griffin, Photographer.
Through lectures and seminars you will develop an understanding of the history and art of Photography and its role in contemporary culture. You will learn about the most influential photographers since the invention of the medium and be able to use this knowledge to develop your own practice.
Careers & Progression
You will work for real live clients and many students start their career and earn money while studying. On completing their degree, our graduates find employment in a wide range of photographic careers from Adverting, Editorial and Travel photography to Wedding and Event photographer. Others have gone on to work in Forensic and Archiving, Community Arts and Arts Administration. Some of our graduates continue onto post-graduate training such as MA Photography or teacher training.
Image by Jacob Burge – Winner of 2012 London Photography Festival Award
Image by Carey Gough.
Equipment, Workshops & Studios
We have a wide range of up to date equipment including full-frame digital cameras, powerful flash, Phase1 studio equipment and everything else you need to create professional images.
Working in a creative specialist art college environment you will have access to excellent resources. For instance, our craft based workshops are fantastic for traditional image making techniques such as UV screen printing, stenciling, letter press printing and fabric printing.
Image by Ben Adams.
Image by Toni Ward.
Follow our Photography Course on our Instagram account
: and via #hcaphoto.